[mythtv-users] Re: Is gentoo the way to go?

Mike Frisch mfrisch at isurfer.ca
Thu Nov 3 11:55:48 EST 2005

On Thu, November 3, 2005 10:50 am, Trey Boudreau said:
> I really like my gentoo setup (I have five systems, currently), but then
> I've managed UN*X boxen since 1991.  A distcc-enabled portage chews
> right through compiles.

It has nothing to do with experience.  Without getting into a pissing
contest, I've been maintaining "UN*X boxen" for at least the same amount
of time and when it all comes down to it, the advantages of "compiling
your own" are far outweighed by the time savings in using somebody else's
(trusted) binaries.

After playing the Linux game for so long, I don't have desire nor time to
manually maintain/upgrade the system.  I dropped Slackware a LONG time ago
for this reason.