[mythtv-users] KnoppMyth R5A22 seriously broken

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Nov 3 12:48:55 EST 2005

Jim Reith wrote:

> yes it does. It has everything to do with it. It was a package deal.

And that is not the fault of MythTV, but the fault of the KnoppMyth
packager.  I don't use a pre-packaged installation and I have no
problems using IVTV whatever with Myth whatever because they are not
dependent in any way on their own.

> There was a need for people to have a turnkey ivtv 4.0 solution and
> someone took the time to put the package together in a usable form.

And they also made a mistake by using a developer version of MythTV
rather than an approved release which would have avoided this problem.

> it fits a need and it is appreciated by those of us using it. It was

I'm sure it is, but that doesn't make it supported here.

> stable for what it was intended. Just because people are using mixed
> environments and not updating all of the systems in a cluster isn't a
> reason for the maintainer to reverse the solution. If all machines

Actually it is.  Different Myth versions use different protocol versions
and you cannot mix them.  This is partially the fault of the packager
for using a development version in their package and partly the fault of
the original poster for not understanding the necessity of using
compatible versions.

> go for it. This is open source. Dive in and make it so. Don't put
> demands on others.

Ironic considering you were talking to the lead developer of Myth...

Kevin