[mythtv-users] KnoppMyth R5A22 seriously broken (was: RE: Mythtv -0.18.1 using protocol 15)

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Thu Nov 3 12:39:30 EST 2005

At 11:04 AM 11/3/2005, you wrote:
>On Thursday 03 November 2005 10:54 am, Jim Reith wrote:
> > >People need to stop distributing SVN versions.  The people who do don't
> > > ever think what they're doing will break people's multi-computer setups.
> > > It's also pretty idiotic to pick a random checkout date and release as if
> > > it were stable.  This is _not_ 0.18.2, or anything related to it.
> > >
> > >As far as I'm concerned, nobody should use KnoppMyth until they revert to
> > >using a stable release, or at _least_ a checkout from the
> > > release-0-18-fixes branch..
> >
> > but it is perfectly acceptable for those of us using single machines
> > and it does resolve the problem with needing to move to the Stable
> > ivtv 4.0 branch that many of us need
>
>The version of ivtv distributed has absolutely nothing to do with the version
>of mythtv in the distribution.

yes it does. It has everything to do with it. It was a package deal.
There was a need for people to have a turnkey ivtv 4.0 solution and
someone took the time to put the package together in a usable form.
it fits a need and it is appreciated by those of us using it. It was
stable for what it was intended. Just because people are using mixed
environments and not updating all of the systems in a cluster isn't a
reason for the maintainer to reverse the solution. If all machines
were upgraded the protocol issue goes away. 18.2 or 19.0 isn't on the
horizon. Something better that 2.0 has been needed for a while.
besides, you always have the option of using any one of several other
distributions or rolling your own. That's the whole point of "your
mileage may vary"

> > it just needs the caveat stated somewhere visible
>
>No, it needs to be fixed ASAFP.

go for it. This is open source. Dive in and make it so. Don't put
demands on others.