[mythtv-users] Mythtv -0.18.1 using protocol 15

Michael Bochynski mbochynski at audiumcorp.com
Thu Nov 3 10:13:58 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 11:24 +0000, fred bloggs wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've had an install of Mythtv on gentoo for a few months, and it has been
> working fine - and happily works with a frontend from another gentoo
> install.
>
> However, last night I was trying to get a Knoppmyth frontend and also
> winMyth to work, and when they connect to my backend I get the error:
>
> MainServer::HandleVersion - Client speaks protocol version 18 but we speak
> 15!
>
> The backend is version  0.18.1.20050510-1, the gentoo install is version
> mythtv-0.18.1-r1, and the tarball is called mythtv-0.18.1.tar.bz2 - so I am
> pretty sure I am running 0.18.1:)
>
> Looking at problems people have had with protocol errors the protocol number
> seems to track the release number, so why is my 0.18,1 install using an old
> protocol - 15, and how can I get it to use 18?
>
> thanks

I had the same problem. It turns out that the Knoppmyth R5A22 has Mythtv
0.18.2svn, which supposedly uses protocol 18. Since my backend runs
MythTV 0.18.1 and I don't want to touch it, I downloaded previous
version of Knoppmyth - R5A16 - built with MythTV 0.18.1 and everything
works fine.

I don't know whether winMyth has the same problem .... I have to say
that I was not able to get to to show live TV, but I didn't spend more
than 5 minutes of trying to solve it :)

Michael