[mythtv-users] How do I removed existing mysql database and start over?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue May 31 22:36:29 UTC 2005

On 5/31/05, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) <glandix at lloydnet.org> wrote:

> just for sh*ts and giggles, try:
>
> mysql -u root mytconverg

mark at gandalf ~ $ mysql -u root mytconverg
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: NO)
mark at gandalf ~ $

mark at gandalf ~ $ mysql -u root mythconverg
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: NO)
mark at gandalf ~ $

If I add a -p to either of the above then it asks for a password and I fail.

> this will let you know if there really is a password set ...
>

> > Either I have totally forgotten the password or the database is hosed up.
>
> i'd lay money on the first ... it's much more common... done it myself
> many times ...

Yeah - certainly could be.

<SNIP>

> can you sit at / ssh in to the remote frontend system and type:
>
> mysql -u [myth] -p mythconverg

mark at gandalf ~ $ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
Enter password:

Your MySQL connection id is 24 to server version: 4.0.24

mysql>

OK, this does work when ssh'ed into the station. But when the MythTV
app tries to do much the same it fails with messages similar to the
failures above. I think this is because mysql is somehow no longer
bound to the netowrk. As I said earlier it I hand edit
.mythtv/mysql.txt to use localhost instead of 192.168.1.2 then I can
connect and use MythTV:

 QMYSQL3: Unable to connect
Database error was:
Access denied for user: 'mythtv at gandalf' (Using password: YES)

2005-05-31 15:32:34.143 Database not open while trying to load
setting: QtFontSmall
2005-05-31 15:32:34.256 Unable to connect to database!
2005-05-31 15:32:34.256 Driver error was [1/1045]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to connect
Database error was:
Access denied for user: 'mythtv at gandalf' (Using password: YES)

2005-05-31 15:32:34.257 Database not open while trying to load
setting: HideMouseCursor
2005-05-31 15:32:34.304 Unable to connect to database!
2005-05-31 15:32:34.304 Driver error was [1/1045]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to connect
Database error was:
Access denied for user: 'mythtv at gandalf' (Using password: YES)

2005-05-31 15:32:34.304 Database not open while trying to load
setting: RunFrontendInWindow

mark at gandalf ~ $

> (where [myth] is the username you used, i can't rem the default) ... can
> you connect that way?  it may be that you have more than one myth user
> in the db (mysql uses the hostname as part of the username, so you can
> have myth at localhost, myth at 192.168.0.2, myth at dev.server.local, etc) ...
> have you made sure that you have the correct password in mysql.txt?  i
> can't recall the location of it, but type 'locate mysql.txt' and you'll
> find it .. make sure it's the right passwd ...

It is the right password. In this config I cannot connect:

DBHostName=192.168.1.2
#DBHostName=localhost
DBUserName=mythtv
DBPassword=mythtv
DBName=mythconverg
DBType=QMYSQL3

In this config I can:

#DBHostName=192.168.1.2
DBHostName=localhost
DBUserName=mythtv
DBPassword=mythtv
DBName=mythconverg
DBType=QMYSQL3

> if none of all of this works (esp the root part), google for resetting
> the mysql root password .. it's possible (done it myself) to reset the
> root mysql user's password so you can login as root and start fixing
> things from there
>
> -g-

No, it's helpful. Possibly the problem is somehow the mysql database
is fine but the problem is mysql not binding/listening to the network.
That would require changing the grant privledges, I think, but I
cannot log in to do so anymore....

Thanks,
Mark