[mythtv-users] How do I removed existing mysql database and start over?

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Tue May 31 22:01:24 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:
>    As I've tried to communicate, and I think I nust be doing a
> terrible job at it, I cannot log in as root to either mysql in general
> or the mythconverg database:
>
> gandalf ~ # mysql -u root -p
> Enter password:
> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)
> gandalf ~ # mysql -u root -p mythconverg
> Enter password:
> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)
> gandalf ~ #

just for sh*ts and giggles, try:

mysql -u root mytconverg

this will let you know if there really is a password set ...

> Either I have totally forgotten the password or the database is hosed up.

i'd lay money on the first ... it's much more common... done it myself
many times ...

>>All of this is covered in the MySQL privilege system documentation at
>>the links I provided in the other thread.
>

> Yes, I thought I read through that but didn't find a solution to this
> problem. No one cares at this point about shows that have been
> recorded. I could just dump all that and start over without penalty.
> The bad part is two days of no one being able to use it at all, at
> least via the network. Myth is still working if you sit on the backend
> machine itself.

can you sit at / ssh in to the remote frontend system and type:

mysql -u [myth] -p mythconverg

(where [myth] is the username you used, i can't rem the default) ... can
you connect that way?  it may be that you have more than one myth user
in the db (mysql uses the hostname as part of the username, so you can
have myth at localhost, myth at 192.168.0.2, myth at dev.server.local, etc) ...
have you made sure that you have the correct password in mysql.txt?  i
can't recall the location of it, but type 'locate mysql.txt' and you'll
find it .. make sure it's the right passwd ...

if none of all of this works (esp the root part), google for resetting
the mysql root password .. it's possible (done it myself) to reset the
root mysql user's password so you can login as root and start fixing
things from there

-g-