[mythtv-users] How do I removed existing mysql database and start over?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 31 22:11:42 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On 5/31/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>

>>Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>>Title says it. I filed a message here the the other day but no one
>>>seemed ot have any ideas about why I cannot log into the existing
>>>database anymore.
>>>
>>You have to make changes to MySQL privileges as a MySQL user who has
>>access to the privilege tables.  I.e. log in to MySQL as root before you
>>issue the grant command.
>>
>As I've tried to communicate, and I think I nust be doing a
>terrible job at it, I cannot log in as root to either mysql in general
>or the mythconverg database:
>
>gandalf ~ # mysql -u root -p
>Enter password:
>ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)
>gandalf ~ # mysql -u root -p mythconverg
>Enter password:
>ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)
>gandalf ~ #
>
>Either I have totally forgotten the password or the database is hosed up.

OK.  I'll admit I've been confused, but I'm not willing to say it's your
fault (I get confused a lot :).  The other thread seemed to be focusing
on whether it was a crashed database, so I tried to provide information
that could help you figure out what happened.

In this thread, however, I realize that you're more interested in just
making it work again.  So, I thought I'd mention the fact that your
other thread showed you trying to grant privileges as mythtv instead of
as root.

And, finally, I'm starting to get the idea that you can't log in as root
at all.  If so, take Adam's advice--log in with the privilege system
disabled and reset passwords/privileges. (For a more detailed
description, see
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/resetting-permissions.html .)  BTW,
try logging in as root without a password (i.e. "mysql -u root")--that's
the MySQL default--just in case.

HTH.
Mike