[mythtv-users] Tweaks to playback HDTV

Preston Crow pc-mythtv05 at crowcastle.net
Tue May 31 19:24:47 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 15:04, Jean Connelly wrote:
> I'd given up on HDTV playback on my P4 2.4 system because it stutters,
> but I've noticed a bunch of posts mentioning slower machines with
> watchable HDTV.  Is there a list someplace of recommended tweaks and
> optimizations?

I have an Athlon 2500+ and nVidia 5200 card.  I use xrandr with DVI-out
to do 720p or 1080i to my CRT-based HDTV.

Settings include: use xvmc, audio buffering, and use video for timebase
(by memory--I don't remember exactly how they're phrased).

Without the extra audio buffering, things stuttered when playing PVR-250
streams.  Without the timebase option, HDTV stuttered, even though the
CPU was mostly idle.

With xvmc, I'm usually at something like 60% idle according to top.

--PC