[mythtv-users] Colour Saturation Problem

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 01:10:29 UTC 2005

Ian Trider wrote:

>On 5/30/05, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>related question: anyone know of free open test patterns/color bars/etc
>>available? I have a DVD for calibration (that I use on the sets), but
>>unfortunately I don't have a DVD player on the mythtv pcs.
>>

>No, but you can create them very easily:  Create a simple image in
>something like GIMP that has boxes that are 0% white, 50% white, and
>100% white, the colour red (255,0,0), the colour green (0,255,0), and
>the colour blue (0,0,255).
>
>Not quite the same as a full test pattern, but it'll give something
>reasonably decent to calibrate off of.

I have some jpgs of smpte color bars, color scale test, gray scale, etc.
I use these to calibrate my computer displays.

>Note, however, that the output equipment has to be properly calibrated
>itself to calibrate the viewing device;  if your video card is putting
>out severely miscalibrated video (you would need an oscilliscope to
>actually determine what it is outputting, because how you perceive the
>displayed image depends on your TV's calibration), calibrating your TV

Good point. Any instructions on how to calibrate the video card?

>to it will of course put your other sources out.
>
>Probably best to use a DVD to fix the TV first,

always! I use the Video Essentials DVD on a Sony consumer DVD player.

> so you end up with
>(assuming the DVD player doesn't suck) something close to properly
>calibrated,

This is a good point. I just assume the DVD player is reasonable.