[mythtv-users] Colour Saturation Problem

Ian Trider iantri at gmail.com
Mon May 30 18:43:48 UTC 2005

On 5/30/05, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at yahoo.com> wrote:

> related question: anyone know of free open test patterns/color bars/etc
> available? I have a DVD for calibration (that I use on the sets), but
> unfortunately I don't have a DVD player on the mythtv pcs.

No, but you can create them very easily:  Create a simple image in
something like GIMP that has boxes that are 0% white, 50% white, and
100% white, the colour red (255,0,0), the colour green (0,255,0), and
the colour blue (0,0,255).

Not quite the same as a full test pattern, but it'll give something
reasonably decent to calibrate off of.

Note, however, that the output equipment has to be properly calibrated
itself to calibrate the viewing device;  if your video card is putting
out severely miscalibrated video (you would need an oscilliscope to
actually determine what it is outputting, because how you perceive the
displayed image depends on your TV's calibration), calibrating your TV
to it will of course put your other sources out.

Probably best to use a DVD to fix the TV first, so you end up with
(assuming the DVD player doesn't suck) something close to properly
calibrated, and then fix the MythBox by generating calibration images
(and adjusting the computer's settings) as described above.

--
Ian Trider
iantri at gmail.com