[mythtv-users] Mplayer crashes X

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon May 30 23:26:06 UTC 2005

On 5/30/05, Mark Keenan <mfkeenan at ireland.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I recently did a much neede apt-get upgrade on my myth box. However, having
> done this, mplayer simply refuses to work. If I try to watch a movie through
> myth, the movie starts to play (I know because I hear the sound), but I
> never see anything other than the myth movie description on the screen.
>
> Originally, I thought it was a focus/z-order problem and that I could simply
> alt-tab to the playing movie, but I couldnt!....
> So then I tried playing a movie from the command line using mplayer and
> doing this causes the entire X session to freeze up. I have to kill X to
> recover the box?!?!?!?!....

Are you able to log the mplayer output up to the point of the freeze?
It could be accelerated video driver problems if they were updated
also - try using the X11 driver in mplayer to see if you can get
unaccelerated playback working.

When installing xine - I think you need to install xine and xine-lib
if using apt-get or yum. Maybe try compiling it manually - it's very
straightforward and see if you can get video working again.

Nick