[mythtv-users] Re: Yum versus apt

Roger Hanson roger at rogerhanson.com
Mon May 30 14:40:14 UTC 2005

mogens lunde wrote:

> Axel Thimm wrote:
>

> I really have followed Jarods description exactly (copy/paste
> instructions), but basically not much could be done wrong from
> installing the four CD's untill starting the apt-get update etc. I did
> of course also the last time install the latest kernel, but when
> trying this:
> # apt-get install ivtv-firmware
> # apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-$KVER
> # apt-get install ivtv
>
> each package returned this error: Couldn't find package xxxxxx
> (Did of course define $KVER properly)
>
> This really should not happen, and I swear I have not deviated one mm
> from Jarods description. Anyway installation succeeded with yum, but
> now I get static/snow from the tuner after a reboot (worked before the
> reboot)
>
> When I hopefully get this to work again I obviously need a backup
> program, so that I can go back to a working mythtv. I have now two
> times experienced that a simple apt-get dist-upgrade destroyed my
> working tuner output.

I don't know if this's exactly related to the problem you've seen - but...

I've had to use the commands multiple times when doing the apt-gets.  I
also received failed messages but doing the commands multiple times
finally got everything updated.  I assumed it was timeouts or busy
server or something.  I DID NOT continue on until I got the complete
message and packages not just downloaded but the install thing with all
the ###################.  Again, it took no less than 4-5 tries to get
it to finish.

I followed the directions exactly, no changes made except the multiple
apt-get commands to complete the download and install of upgrades.