[mythtv-users] EPG data from DVB(-T)

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun May 29 21:30:52 UTC 2005

On 5/29/05, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> In message <200505291641.00977.stuart at tase.co.uk>
>           Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > The radiotimes covers 14 days vs 7 days for the broadcast EPG. The
> > broadcast  EPG also lacks ratings/reviews for films and category data.
> > Overall the  program descriptions available from the Radiotimes xmltv
> > grabber are better  too.
>
> In some ways the fact that the radiotimes data sometimes has enhanced
> descriptions for shows is a downside though, since it is typically only
> the first showing where there replace the broadcasters description with
> either own when then prevents Myth finding repeats automatically.

I find this a problem sometimes as the extra info spills out of the
OSD on onto the live TV screen - sometimes the descriptions are >10
lines.

> That and the fact that you normally only get the enhanced description
> at the last minute - a day or so before it airs - which can suddenly
> introduce a conflict that wasn't there before because a show had been
> deferred to a later repeat which no longer matches. I had that happen
> last weekend - there were no conflicts on Friday when I went away but
> by Sunday a description had changed and introduced one which caused me
> to miss something.
>
> I'm still using it mostly for the 14 day coverage but I'm certainly
> considered switching to the EPG to get better description stability.

Same here - I still use the RT grabber for most channels, but am
testing with some of the less important DVB channels to see how it
goes. It would be good to not have problems if I'm away and the net
connection drops - at least you can still get 7 days of listings over
the air (which I guess would be a good backup - if the data is empty
after x days, use the EPG data to fill it etc).

Nick