[mythtv-users] Remain in MPEG-2 but remove commercials?

Josh Burks dotnofoolin at gmail.com
Fri May 27 17:37:53 UTC 2005

On 5/27/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/27/05, Adam Egger <adam.egger at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/27/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >    Is it possible to somehow use transcode to leave my recorded files
> > > in MPEG-2 format but remove the commercials? Essentially I'd like to
> > > automate what the Z key does when I'm watching.
> >
> > Yes, that's what I'm looking for. I'd just like to cut out the
> > commercials without changing anything else with the source file (like
> > I've done with VirtualDub on windows years ago).
> > Is it possible to remove unneeded parts of a recording in a few
> > seconds/minutes without having to transcode the source file (what
> > takes ages on my AMD64-3000+)?
> >
> I probably have a somewhat different issue to deal with than most. My
> mother just had a stroke and is laid up in bed recovering. I went to
> her place this last week and set up a Myth backend on their PC using a
> PVR-150 and then built an XBox based frontend. She's using it but is
> limited to the XBox remote control. I showed her how to use the
> forward arrow to skip forward but it seems she always overruns the
> start of the next section of her shows and is having a hard time
> backing up to where she wants to be.
>
> I was really looking for a nice, simple, automated way to get her to
> the point where she just watches the show without commercials. This
> will require that everything is done by Myth and that hopefully it's
> done accurately. If it's not automatic and if it's not accurate then
> it's of no major interest.
>
> On the home front I'd like the same capabilities for my wife and kid.
> They are not going to be willing to run anything by hand. As for me I
> might do it but I don't want to work too hard. Myth is supposed to
> make my life easier and more fun but I'm finding that will all the
> book keeping involved in getting the hard drive to empty out and make
> room for new recordings, and then this run nuvexport, run transcode by
> hand, it's beginning to feel like a job and not a hobby.

Is keeping your recordings in MPEG2 a requirement? Why not have Myth
transcode them down to MPEG4 to cut the commercials out? I know Myth
can do this as is, and commercial flagging is quite accurate nowadays.
You'd save some space too.

I'm not too familar with the Xbox frontends, but I _assume_ they will
play Myth's MPEG4 files.

Josh