[mythtv-users] Key modifiers in lircrc

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 26 20:59:23 UTC 2005

Michael Carland wrote:

> Sorry if this is answered somewhere, searching in gossamer for using
> the control key as a modifier for lircrc returns almost every message
> regarding remotes, due to "remote control" being in most of them.
>
> I have used mythweb to add a jump point to mythweather of Ctrl+W.
> Hitting Ctrl-W on the keyboard works, so I am that far.

Does hitting "W" (without Ctrl) do the same?

> However, I am unable to get it to work from the remote. lirc
> documentation says to send a control key with a backslash and capital
> letter, which doesn't work. I have tried all of the following in my
> lircrc:
> \W
> Ctrl W
> Control W
> Ctrl-W
> Control-W
> Ctrl+W
> Control+W
>
> Some of these caused a message similar to:
> LircClient warning: attempt to convert '' to a key sequence failed.
> Fix your key mappings.
>
> to be printed, with the lirc config value in the quotes. Some of the
> keys silently failed.
>
> I eventually gave up and used F2, which works.
>
> For future reference, anyone know how to make this work?

LIRC seems to interpret the "\W" and send ASCII character 23, ETB (End
of Transmission Block).  If you specify "Ctrl+W", LIRC sends the whole
string (6 characters).  Myth seems to be (haven't looked at the code, so
this is a guess) watching for a W while the Ctrl key is pressed--which
can't happen through LIRC.  Therefore, using F(whatever) is probably
your best bet (that's what I used).

Mike