[mythtv-users] Re: Finishing my Myth Configuration

BARKER, Paul paul.barker at orange.co.uk
Thu May 26 15:35:05 UTC 2005

>1.  The down and CH- buttons on my remote are not working - all other
>buttons work great.  I set up the remote using irrecord and the lircrc
>file from Jarods site.  Do I need to rerun irrecord again?  I played
>around with IRW and confirmed that those keys are not responding.  What
>steps do I need to take to get those two buttons working?
>
>2. Mythbackend isn't autostarting.  I've been simply lauching it from
>the console with a "mythbackend &" command, but I'd like to get it
>automated.
>

>3. Whenever I reboot, I loose /dev/video0 and am forced to run "modprobe
>ivtv" to reload my tuner device.  Is this the correct behaviour? Where
>do I set this to run automatically?
>
>4.  I have my Mythtv box set to autologin. However, under FC3 for some
>reason the default X session is "failsafe". How do I get it to use KDE?
>Would changing /etc/sysconfig/desktop from desktop=gnome to desktop=kde
>work?

Hi - glad you're enjoying Myth!

As for point one, if the remote is a multi device type (ie - you can enter
codes to make it behave like diffent manufacturers remotes) the buttons which
don't work may not be defined for the type of remote you have it set to. I
have an All In One remote and if I set it to some types of DVD player the
coloured (RED, GREEN, BLUE, YELLOW) buttons don't send any signal. I had to
play around with IRW and different device codes until I found a device for
which 99% of the buttons send a signal. I'm pretty sure I've still got one
that doesn't do anything.

To get the frontend to autorun under KDE just cd to
/home/mythtv/.kde/Autostart and create a symlink to mythfrontend. (try ln -s
/usr/bin/mythfrontend once you're in the Autostart directory). Obviously
you'll need to adjust the path if you have mythfrontend installed elsewhere.
Jarrod has some more interesting advice on his site where he uses a small
script in the same path to restore volume levels and load nvidia settings so
you might want to try that. I've just read the last point BTW and if you've
already added entries in .kde/Autostart the reason it's not loading is
because it's not starting KDE, you're getting a failsafe session instead.

I'm not sure about /dev/video0, but I'll bet it's something to do with udev.
My backend runs on a FC2 box so I don't see the same problem (FC2 still uses
devfs over udev). I'm sure Jarrod had a patch to add entries to the udev
rules for ivtv but I can't see it on his site right now. I'm sure someone
else can help with this.

Not sure why you're getting a failsafe login. Did you use a failsafe login
just before you set autologin? Not sure if gdm remebers the last login type.
Try turning off auto login then selecting a normal session and loging in
manually. At least that'll tell you if there are any problems with the setup.

I hope at least some of that is helpful!

Cheers
Paul

Important.
Confidentiality: This communication is intended for the above-named
person(s) and may be confidential and/or legally privileged.
Any opinions expressed in this communication are not necessarily
those of the company. If it has come to you in error you must
take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone;
please delete/destroy and inform the sender immediately.

Monitoring/Viruses.
Orange may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with
current legislation.  Although we have taken steps to ensure that
this email and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that
in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure
they are actually virus free.

Orange Personal Communications Services Limited is a subsidiary of
Orange SA and is registered in England No 2178917,
with its address at St James Court, Great Park Road,
Almondsbury Park, Bradley Stoke, Bristol BS32 4QJ.

Orange Retail Limited is a subsidiary of Orange SA and is registered
in England No 2439104, with its address at St James Court,
Great Park Road, Almondsbury Park, Bradley Stoke, Bristol BS32 4QJ.