[mythtv-users] VCR video to MythTV (USB, 1394 or S-Video capture solutions)

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Tue May 24 16:44:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 12:31, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    I've been at my parents house for a few days getting a MythTV
> installation setup. It's all wokring and my folks are pretty happy.
> However no good ded goes unpunished. My dad is now asking for a way to
> capture his videos and be able to watch them in MythTV. As I've only
> got one more day here before I travel home I'm looking for some ideas.
>
> 1) The mythbackend machine has a PVR-150 so it has a (yet untested)
> S-video input. Does this input work on the PVR-150/250/250?
>
> 2) The machine also has 1394 and USB inputs. I understand people are
> capturing HD over 1394 for that should work if there's a good capture
> device that can go outside the PC.
>
> 3) My folks have 3 VCR's but none have S-video outputs.
>
>   Would I be better off to suggest he buys a new VCR with an S-Video
> output and then record that via the input on the PVR? Or is there some
> USB or 1394 solution that is known to work well under Linux and
> MythTV.
>
>    Hi goal is to get the video onto the same /TVstorage partition
> we're using for Myth recordings and also eventually be able to author
> a DVD for the family with some of this stuff. He interviewed a number
> of my relatives 20-30 years ago and wants to save these conversations
> as part of a family tree project.
>
> thanks,
> Mark

I have a 350 and a 250. I have captured video from VHS using a Composite
to SVideo converter (included with my 350 if I remember correctly). That
would probably be easier than buying a new VCR. Most of the recordings
I've made this way come out fine. I have had the occasional one not
record very well and I assume it was because of the tape or video itself
more than anything.

It's been a while, but from what I remember the hardest part was setting
up the channel to be able to record from the VCR.

James