[mythtv-users] VCR video to MythTV (USB, 1394 or S-Video capture solutions)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue May 24 16:31:35 UTC 2005

Hi,
   I've been at my parents house for a few days getting a MythTV
installation setup. It's all wokring and my folks are pretty happy.
However no good ded goes unpunished. My dad is now asking for a way to
capture his videos and be able to watch them in MythTV. As I've only
got one more day here before I travel home I'm looking for some ideas.

1) The mythbackend machine has a PVR-150 so it has a (yet untested)
S-video input. Does this input work on the PVR-150/250/250?

2) The machine also has 1394 and USB inputs. I understand people are
capturing HD over 1394 for that should work if there's a good capture
device that can go outside the PC.

3) My folks have 3 VCR's but none have S-video outputs.

  Would I be better off to suggest he buys a new VCR with an S-Video
output and then record that via the input on the PVR? Or is there some
USB or 1394 solution that is known to work well under Linux and
MythTV.

   Hi goal is to get the video onto the same /TVstorage partition
we're using for Myth recordings and also eventually be able to author
a DVD for the family with some of this stuff. He interviewed a number
of my relatives 20-30 years ago and wants to save these conversations
as part of a family tree project.

thanks,
Mark