[mythtv-users] Re: Wireless Keyboards

David Morris mythtv at morrisonthenet.com
Tue May 24 14:45:19 UTC 2005

Yes, it seems Newegg has dropped the Lite-On IR keyboard.  Too bad, I
have it and it's great for a cheap HTPC keyboard.

And yes, Lite-On just rebadged this keyboard (well, in fact mine isn't
even branded as a Lite-On anywhere, not even on the box).  Several folks
sell this keyboard under their own name, it's actually a quite common one.

On the JP1 Remote forums several keyboards have been identified as using
the same IR protocol.  In fact the JP1 profile that I downloaded was
created for an AirBoard IR keyboard.  It worked fine for my Lite-On
SK-7100 -- I just configured it in RemoteMaster and downloaded it to my
All-4-One Learning Remote (model 8810w, $18 from Wal-Mart) using IR.  It
beats learning the keyboard manually, which is quite a challenge.  I
never could get my remote to learn from the keyboard, but I know it's
possible as others have done it.  It's just very very picky and tedious
to do, so the JP1 route is much easier, plus you get the benefit of a
backup of your entire remote should it ever lose its memory.  Now I have
one master remote that controls all of my A/V devices, including my Myth
box, and I don't have to run lirc.  The only quirk is that the arrow
keys tend to repeat at the slightest touch on the remote -- it's a known
issue that could probably be tweaked in the remote protocol, but I live
with it by making quick, light jabs on the arrow keys.

I can't recommend the JP1 approach strongly enough.  Visit
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1009 for a good JP1
beginner thread if you're not already familiar with it.  On those forums
you will find links to free downloads for RemoteMaster and IR, plus tons
of remote profiles and discussions of all sorts of neat stuff.  There
are also instructions on how to make your own JP1 cable, but unless
you've got a good electronics shop handy or can buy components online in
small quantities, it's better to buy a kit or a pre-made cable from one
of the suppliers you'll find mentioned there.  The better, most
compatible cables are more than just a wired connector, mine has a
custom perf-board with an IC, a couple of diodes, and a half-dozen
resistors all mounted inside a DB25 hood that connects to a parallel
port.  Rather than try to track down all the parts myself, I bought the
kit since I'm handy with a soldering iron -- the kit costs half of what
a ready-made cable costs.

David