[mythtv-users] OT: RG-6 crimping question

Rei Toi rei_toi at walkingmountain.com
Tue May 24 00:49:02 UTC 2005

David George wrote:

>>> just bought a house and needed some info on running my own rg-6 cable
>>> for my myth setup (and cable internet) ... i've had experience
>>>
>>> running rg-6 (i used to do sprint broadband installs w/ getronics),
>>> but
>>> unfortunately i didn't swipe one of the nice T&B snap-n-seal
>>> crimper/stripper tools we used before i was laid off ;) ...
>>>

>> Go to Homer Depot and pick up the Leviton compression crimper.
>> It's very similar to the T&B one, and I've used it for about 200 or so
>> terminations with no issue.  I think it's even made by the same outfit
>> that makes the Digi-Con one - which is pretty good as well.
>>

> Good thing I read all the posts before replying.  I was about to
> recommend this also.  I have the Ideal compression tool from Home Depot
> and it works great.  You can even get the connectors and cable there.  I
> use RG-6 Quad shield myself, but they also have RG-6.

I went the Home Depot route myself and bought the Ideal tool,
connectors, and stripper.  I also use the RG-6 Quad cable, which you can
buy there by the foot.  It has all worked just fine for me.

While we are OT, I'll mention that I was having problems with my cable
modem service which I eventually tracked to too many splitters between
the cable modem and the feed to the house.  Moving the modem "closer" to
(i.e. fewer splitters away from) the feed has completely solved this
problem.

I also have a PVR-250 & -350 card on my Myth box, one fed from a digital
cable box, the other is directly connected to the cable.

I was previously using whatever cables I had held on to over the years
to connect all of this, but excess RG-6 can be a real pain to hide away.
  Having the ability to make custom cables for both of these situations
made it much easier to keep the cabling all neat and tidy in the office
and around the entertainment center.

It seems like a small thing but it really improved the WAF...