[mythtv-users] File permissions for recordings

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun May 22 12:38:15 UTC 2005

> > This doesn't answer your question, but why not run everything
> > (mythbackend, mtd, mythfrontend) as the mythtv user? You shouldn't
> > need to run any of this as root ...
>
> > --Rob
>
> You're right, of course, there's no necessity to do it this way. My reasons (both of which I realise can be worked around) are...
>
> 1. Doing it by the method used in the excellent Howto at wilsonet.com results in the backend being run automatically at boot time as root.
>
> 2. When the backend is run as the mythtv user it can't open the frontend on the DVB card. This necessitates changing the permissions on /dev/dvb/adaptor0/frontend0, which would need to be done after every reboot.

You can fix this by adding some permission settings into a file in
/etc/udev/permissions.d. Just create a file called 20-dvb.permissions
and put this line in it:

dvb/adapter[0-3]*/*:root:mythtv:0666

Then mythtv will be able to open the DVB cards with no manual
intervention after every reboot.

Also, don't forget that even if you run mythfrontend as a
non-privileged user, it's a good idea to set uid root for it - it even
advises you to in the logs!

Regards,
Phill