[mythtv-users] OT: NUV player for windows (MPEG4 transcoded)

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Fri May 20 18:00:54 UTC 2005

> I think you missed my point.  There are two ways to generate mpeg4 files
> in Myth.  You can generate them as the result of transcoding, or if you
> have a raw capture card (e.g., bt878), Myth can encode it directly to
> mpeg4.

I think those are actually the same. bt878 is just a raw framegrabber,
iirc, and myth transcodes it to mpeg4 as it's recording. I guess it's
not technically "transcoding", but I believe it's the same process
that does it. The other way it can make mpeg4 is to transcode from
mpeg2 (also within myth and the mythtranscode process)

There is another way to get files like that, and it's using nuvexport,
but that's a separate thing entirely (that one does make AVI)

> But what are 3ivx and dsMyth?  I'm looking for a way to convert files
> trancoded into mpeg4 into standard .avi files without re-encoding them.

3ivx is an mpeg4 decoder for windows, and dsMyth is a filter that
allows windows to read the nuv-style container. Basically in a
nutshell, it allows any standard windows movie player to read an NUV
file from myth (I tried WMP and bsPlayer so far, they work pretty
well). I think the only way to put the movie into an avi container is
to transcode it, unfortunately. I'd like to see a way to have
automatic conversion to avi instead of nuv, but I don't know how
important it is - most people record and watch movies in myth directly
OR use nuvexport to save particular recordings to files.

 - Jeff