[mythtv-users] Re: Closed captioning support

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Fri May 20 17:10:04 UTC 2005

On 5/20/05, Bryan Lockwood <bryan at lockwoods.us> wrote:
> I hope it's not presumptuous to ask – can anyone provide definitive
> information on what hardware and driver combinations do/don't support
> Closed
> Captioning (both when streaming live TV and when watching pre recorded
> video)? I've done a lot of googling on the subject, and ended up with a
> mishmash of sort-of-conflicting information!

You may need to include more info for this to be useful to the entire
mythtv audience.

Someone please correct me if I make any mis-statements below. This is
not anything close to an area of my expertise.

Closed Captioning as I know it is specific to NTSC broadcasts.
Teletext is specific to PAL broadcasts

(is it really that simple?)

I *think* I read that closed captioning *works* in mythtv for
BT878-based cards, but not for anything else.

I, too, would love to eventually be able to mute the TV and read
Closed Captions.

> To kick things off, I created a matrix, with lots of unknowns, at HYPERLINK
> "http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/CaptureCardMatrix"http://www.mythtv.info/mo
> in.cgi/CaptureCardMatrix . I'll be happy to maintain it based on whatever I
> learn from the list, but anyone should feel free to edit it; that's the
> wiki spirit!

That's a great start - Thanks!

-Ross