[mythtv-users] Re: Feature request: backwards compatability

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Thu May 19 19:20:46 UTC 2005

cwatson at linkline.com wrote:

> Howdy,
>
>> Find a disc on the cover of "Linux Media Magazine" with MythTV
>> binaries on it running a slightly older knoppmyth 0.17  Decide to see
>> if knoppmyth is really all it's cracked up to be, only to find out
>> that your backend isn't going to play nice with it.  Stomp on the
>> disc, curse knoppmyth, and smile 18 hours later when your Gentoo
>> install finishes and 0.18 works as expected.
>
> Curse KnoppMyth?!  Perhaps this is why my body ached and I couldn't
> sleep last night.  The MythTV versioning (non) issue is not a
> KnoppMyth issue.  Any one capable of reading should be about to figure
> this out.  In the 18 hours it took you to install Gentoo and MythTV, I
> could have installed KnoppMyth on 18 PCs.  This includes downloading
> 0.18, producing a debs on one to be installed on others (with much
> time remaining to watch TV).
>
>> ;)
>> Cool
>
> Yes, KnoppMyth is cool.  If you want to use Gentoo, that is your
> option.  I however would appreciate it if you didn't curse my efforts
> to make the Linux/MythTV install easy for those that have better
> things to do with thier time.
> Regards,
> Cecil

Uh, yeah. It took me under an hour to get KnoppMyth running, and
watching TV. I've only ever tried to install Gentoo once, and after
about 4 hours of futzing around with it, I still didn't have an
installed system. And I'm not a Linux noob, I've been doing this for a
long time. My first distro was Yggdrasil.

Tom