[mythtv-users] Remote sends command twice

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 18 18:34:02 UTC 2005

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:

> Eric Jensen wrote:
>
>> Finally got my Niveus remote to work with MythTV and Mplayer but for
>> some reason it sends the remote commands twice.  For example, while
>> running irw I get output like this:
>>
>> [crazy code] 00 PLAY niveus
>> [crazy code] 01 PLAY niveus
>>
>> It does that for nearly all of the buttons with one very quick and light
>> press.  Not too much of a problem since I have a decent repeat time in
>> my lircrc file, but when I hit the exit button sometimes it will take me
>> back two screens in the MythTV frontend.  Any ideas why it might be
>> doing this?
>

> seeing that in the output of irw is normal (based on testing i've done
> with multiple remotes) ... iirc i read that some remotes do that,
> assuming that one of the signals will be lost due to human error,
> distance to receiver, blockage, etc ...
>
> however, all the keys work fine for me *except* the exit button (i'm
> using the ATI Remote Wonder with the Power button mapped to exit) ...
> occasionally, it will skip past the main menu and go to the shutdown
> screen when i hit power, as if i've hit it twice (but i didn't, and
> this has been tested many, many times) ... not sure what's causing it,
> but it is really annoying ... a workaround i've found is to use the
> left arrow to go back a menu instead, which seems to work more
> reliably on my ATI

Note, also, that you can configure LIRC to ignore multiple keypresses
using the "repeat"  and/or "delay" tokens (from http://lirc.org/faq.html ):

Every time I press a button on my remote control irw will show at least
5 events (or any other number > 1) independent of how short I try
pressing the button.

In most cases this is the correct behavior. Many remote controls send
the same code multiple times to make sure that at least one code comes
through to the receiver when you press a button for a short time. The
default .lircrc setup ignores repeat events. If you want to use the
button to do things repeatedly when it is being hold down, like e.g.
increasing the volume or something similar, you should use the delay
token (will be available in 0.7.0) in your .lircrc file.

You can identify such remotes by the fact that irrecord usually will add
a min_repeat field for this remote control to the lircd.conf config file.

Mike