[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR-350 or ATI 9200SE TV-out ?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed May 18 17:48:26 UTC 2005

On 5/18/05, Jeff Simpson <llcooljeff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > PVR-350
> > Cons - No Hardware Acceleration, possibly slow DIVX / XVID
> >
> > ATI 9200SE
> > Cons - A PITA to setup
>
> I think that basically covers it.
>
> the TVOut on the PVR looks stunning - I don't have much to compare it
> to, since I haven't used a normal tvout on my myth box yet, but it
> looks just as good as it does right off the cable box into the TV. The
> PVR-350 can be a PITA to set up, too, but it's def. possible. You may
> want to set both up and try them out just to see what you think. With
> that fast a system, you may want to look ahead to HD options, too.
>
> I'm considering using multiple video out ports on the mythbox into
> some kind of switch. Destroys the WAF, but I get the nice output from
> PVR and the acceleration from the normal graphics card

With the current leaps and bounds on XV support in the ivtv tv-out
driver, it may soon be possible to have everything running through the
350 - the output quality is superb. Getting the ATI card working (if
the 9200 has the same TVOut probs as the 9100IGP in the Pundit-R) is
probably easier than for the PVR card! One hexedit, and voila -
install the rpm, run fglrxconfig, and that should be the ATI card set
up. It is also possible to adjust overscan on the ATI, something which
at present is not possible on the 350 card.

Using multiple output is probably the best idea at the moment, as you
get the best of both - acclerated video playback on the ATI, and
beautiful Live TV and recordings on the PVR.

Nick