[mythtv-users] auto transcoding *some* recordings

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Wed May 18 01:03:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 08:44:58PM -0400, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> On 5/17/05, Robert Tsai <rtsai1111 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 06:24:30PM -0400, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> > > Is it possible to set up some recordings (from a PVR-350) to
> > > automatically re-transcode, but have that setting not affect the
> > > other recordings? Some shows I like to record and transcode so
> > > it's easy to put them on a laptop or download them from myself,
> > > but others I like to keep full quality and save to dvd.
> > >
> > > Any idea how to do this? I'm looking through the setup and
> > > haven't found anything, yet.
> >
> > Can't you set up your shows on different recording profiles, and
> > set up the recording profiles' "automatically transcode" checkbox?
>
> is that all that needs to be done? I thought there would be options
> for HOW to transcode it. From what I can tell:
>
> Recording Profile -> Create New I type in a name, I pick MPEG2 - PVR
> as the card type it then makes me pick one of (Default, Live TV,
> High Quality, Low Quality) - I'm not clear as to what this means, so
> I just pick Default for now

They all start out with the same values when you initially install
MythTV. It is meant for you to tweak the settings later on for making
disk-space/quality trade-offs.

> This section has the option for "Automatically transcode" I can pick
> the new size, but under "codec" it doesn't allow me to change the
> type to anything but MPEG-2 Hardware Encoder Same thing on the next
> page, and then it kicks me back to pick the type of recording
> (Default, Live TV, High Quality, Low Quality)

Depending on your capture card, that is correct. I guess some cards
allow you to encode to a variety of codecs (MPEG-4/RTjpeg, etc.).

> Under the recording profile "transcoder", there are more options for
> transcoding, it seems. Can somebody point me at the part I'm
> missing? I'm sure it's something simple, probably just in how I'm
> reading all this

The "automatically transcode" will pick the transcoder based on how
your recording was captured. In your case, since everything is getting
captured and encoded to MPEG-2, you will be using the "From MPEG-2"
transcoder.

--Rob