[mythtv-users] Tiny fonts

Michael Smith myth at immir.com
Tue May 17 02:30:22 UTC 2005

>>Make sure your display is running at 100dpi.
>

> Alright, I'll play dumb.  Where do I set that?  Is it in the xorg.conf?
> The only reference to dpi that I see is in the font path, and it lists
> both 100 and 75.

To find out what resolution your X server is using:

$ xpdyinfo | grep dots
81x108 dots per inch

(that's my output; I'm using a 640x480 progressive input on a 16:9 TV,
and that's close enough to 100x100dpi for me - my font sizes are fine)

Easiest thing to do is add a DisplaySize line giving the screen
dimensions in millimeters to the "Monitor" section of your xorg.conf
file; for example, if you're running at 640x480 resolution on a 4:3
display and you want 100x100dpi, then:

$ units "6.4 inches" "mm"  # 100 dots per inch, 640 dots => 6.4 inches
         * 162.56
         / 0.0061515748
$ units "4.8 inches" "mm"  # ...480 dots...
         * 121.92
         / 0.0082020997

So, add a line:

    DisplaySize  163  122

under the "Monitor" section in your xorg.conf file.

Cheers,
Michael.