[mythtv-users] sound setup with PVR-350

mythtv at thekinseys.net mythtv at thekinseys.net
Mon May 16 22:11:23 UTC 2005

I am working on a MythTV install on FC3 with a PVR-350. When I play live TV,
the sound comes out the TV speakers through the 350's audio output. When I
play DVDs or recordings (with xine), the sound comes out the speakers hooked
up to the computer's onboard sound card. (Does live TV not use xine or
mplayer as well?)

I found this section on Jarod Wilson's FC3 installation guide:
"To hear audio with this video capture when played back using mplayer and
the 350's output, audio output is going to be through your sound card, not
the PVR-350's audio outputs. Personally, I piped the 350's audio outputs
back into the line in port on my sound card, and then the sound card feeds
my speakers, because system, MythMusic and mplayer audio (currently) can
only be output through a sound card (but work is underway to change that)."

So it looks that I need to get an RCA female to 3.5mm cable to connect the
audio RCA cables from the 350 to the input on the sound card and then get a
3.5mm to RCA cable to hook the output on my sound card to my TV or stereo.
This way all my sound, including the sound for live TV, will go through the
onboard sound card. Is this correct? Why can't I just connect the sound
card's output to the audio input on the PVR-350? (I tried this and it did
not work).