[mythtv-users] HD3000 or Air2PC

Preston Crow pc-mythtv05 at crowcastle.net
Mon May 16 21:22:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 17:08, Tony Brummett wrote:
> Back when I first started planning for my new HD setup, I'd decided on
> getting an Air2PC card because it could capture (at least some)
> digital cable channels and the driver was included in the stock Linux
> kernel.  But just as I was ready to buy, they were in the middle of
> going to another hardware rev of the card.  Each time I check on when
> they'll be available, it's delayed again.
>
> >From what I can find, the HD3000 can capture QAM now, so is there any
> reason not to get the HD3000 at this point?  Is the new Air2PC card
> going to be that much better that it'll be worth waiting on (however
> long that takes)?

My understanding from perusing the various posts is that the latest 2.6
kernels support the HD-3000, but the next revision of the Air2PC card
will likely need some driver work (though it shouldn't take long).

For QAM, I'm under the impression that the HD-3000 is slightly superior,
but we'll probably be hit with encryption on the remaining channels
before long.

For ATSC, I'm under the impression that the Air2PC is superior, due to
better handling of multipath (and the new version is supposed to be even
better).

Please correct me or provide supporting technical details.  I'm likely
to be buying a second card soon (I have an HD-2000 now; great with a
roof-top antenna).

> I guess with the broadcast flag deadline on hold for now, there's not
> so much of a hurry to get one in my hands.

I'm sure they'll try to get it back, but we should get a bit of warning
if it happens.

--PC