[mythtv-users] Audio - Why Does MythTV Try To Use /dev/dsp1?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon May 16 02:17:21 UTC 2005

On 5/15/05, Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:
> I almost have my first Myth box up and running.  However, I can't get
> audio when watching LiveTV.  Myth pauses a moment and then tells me that
> /dev/dsp1 is not available, and give me the option to continue without
> audio.
>
> My box has a WinTV 250 and SoundBlaster Audigy card on a Gentoo 2.6.11
> platform.  I'm using ALSA and can get sound both from 'aplayer' and
> 'aoss'.  I have /dev/dsp0 but not /dev/dsp1.  How do I get MythTV to use
> /dev/dsp0?  Or how can I tell what's using /dev/dsp0 causing Myth to try
> /dev/dsp1?  This whole sound thing confuses the hell out of me.

If you are using ALSA, you should be able to use 'ALSA:default' for
your output, and 'default' for your mixer. The /dev/dsp devices are
for OSS if I'm not mistaken.

> I've searched Google but am at a loss.  It may be interesting to note
> that I had this same problem with trying FC3 per Jarod's guide.  But due
> to other problems with FC3, I moved to Gentoo before solving the audio
> situation.

It is possible through the use of OSS emulation and a suitable
modprobe.conf file (or the Gentoo equiv) to map outputs through
certain OSS devices, but if you have ALSA installed and working you
should be able to use ALSA-only outputs.

As mentioned by David above, if you are running KDE, disable arts, the
KDE sound system. Also, when you used Jarod's guide under FC, did you
reuse the sound setup info (asoundrc file etc for SB card) when you
installed Gentoo?

Nick