[mythtv-users] OT: Seagate 200gig IDE, $60 -- REBATE FRAUD

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat May 14 11:48:58 UTC 2005

> Don't count on those rebates 'till you cash the checks.  The last six
> rebates I was "owed" by Seagate and Western Digital were all denied.
> The Seagate rebates didn't even bother to list a reason. (WD had some
> excuse about the receipts not being submitted, which was false.)
>
> I just took the rejection letters back to Fry's and asked the store's
> rebate helper to give the cards to the manager who oversees rebate
> promotions.  My message is simple: They can keep their &%##*#$ rebates
> from now on.  I'm sick to death of these rebate scams and I'm
> specifically NOT buying any more "rebate" products.  Lots of places
> sell disks for lower LIST prices than Fry's and Outpost.com.
>
> Don't hold your breath on those checks.

 	A lot of places try to weasel out of paying rebates, either by
"forgetting," or making some bogus claim about you filling something
improperly.  I always make a copy of all the materials I sent in in case
there a contest.  Since you mailed the submission in, it's a federal
offense of mail fraud if they did not pay when you honored all the details
of the rebate.  Tell that to the guy on the phone and they'll send it.

-Cory