[mythtv-users] OT: backing up to hard drive

Chris Manning kenric at lozengy.net
Sat May 14 04:03:35 UTC 2005

pmb wrote:

> This is totally off topic, but it probably applies to a lot of people
> here who have too much data for tape backups.
> I support a linux file server for a client that is fed up with using
> tape backups and insists on setting up a back up to a hard drive. The
> whole package will need to be idiot proof and easy to use.
> I imagine many people on this list are already doing this.
> Questions I have...
> What software are you using? It seems like a simple tar or cp in a
> cron job would do the trick.
> What hardware are you using to provide hot swapable drives at a
> reasonable cost? USB, SCSI?
> How are you moving the drives offsite? It seems like just chucking a
> bare drive in your car everyday will drastically reduce its life span.
> Anybody have any experience with these
> http://www.high-rely.com/index.cfm?action=products&group=3 ?

At work we have a couple of dozen customers who run linux.  We've been
using mondo rescue for backups lately.  We use it to create iso images
of whatever size we want (most of the time for DVD's,) but we dump them
to a hdd.  The nicest thing about mondo images is that they are
bootable, and can be used to do bare metal recovery if needed, or just
accessed off of the hdd to recover a couple of files.  We currently
setup a cron job to backup each night, and keep 30 days worth of images
on their file server.  Most of our customers then burn the ones they
want to keep (usually month end,) and often copy them to portable hdd's
depending on their offsite storage requirements.  Mondo has a lot of
options and can be setup to do just about anything you want.  I highly
recommend it.

www.mondorescue.org

Chris