[mythtv-users] Hardware Platforms

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Tue May 10 22:58:16 UTC 2005

aaron wrote:
> I have this case too, and I also love it, except for one thing.... I
> have an issue with cooling. :(

hmm, that i haven't had a problem with ... it runs much cooler than
other machines (i can't say how it ran in the old case, because i
upgraded the mobo with the case and the old one didn't have sensors)

> I haven't added any extra fans over the standard ones it comes with.
> Do you have any problems? Did you add any fans?

initially, yes ... i had to, because the dell only uses one case fan w/
a hood over the cpu ... so, i bought a cpu fan, small case fan (for the
back) and bottom fan (for the space just below the drive bays) ... this
was when i had my frontend and backend on the same box ... it ran well,
i'd say maybe slightly warm, but nothing outrageous ... then, i split
the backend to a different box, took out the bottom fan (tho' i'm
considering removing the back case fan, too, or doing something
different to help cut down on noise) and it runs quite a bit cooler than
before (5-10 degrees)... this is with only a small fan on the back by
the power supply, and the cpu fan ... psu is the stock one from dell,
but i'm wanting to upgrade to a silent psu ...

> Maybe I need to try
> shifting the cables around better. I find my two PVR-250s overheat and
> hang the system after 20--30 minutes of recording. My 250s are the
> ones without a heatsink or fan, maybe that's why.

could be ... i don't have much for hardware in mine since the
frontend/backend split ... 1 hdd, 1 dvd-rom, radeon 9600 non-pro, sblive
value ... that's pretty much it, the rest is onboard (ASUS something or
other, i can't recall model offhand) ... i also have rounded IDE cables
for all drives

> So now I leave the cover off the case. Not nearly as attractive, but
> much more stable.

yah, that's one of the reasons i bought the case! :) .. as you can see
in the picture, mine's tucked away in a entertainment center .. i have
more problems with my receiver (just above the htpc) overheating than i
do with the htpc and it's in a bigger compartment than the htpc ... got
my eye on a nice component rack at target to put my vcr, htpc and
receiver on, along with a separate stand for the tv...much more open for
better ventilation (and easier cable runs!!!!) ... just bought a house,
so unfortunately that'll be a while
-g-