[mythtv-users] How does MythTV w/Xbox client on XBMC compare to MCE 2005 ?

Jacques Poulin jacques at jpti.ca
Tue May 10 19:53:13 UTC 2005

Hi,

I currently have this setup at home :

- PC running XP MCE 2005, with two ExpressVu set-top boxes as TV feeds
connected to two Sapphire Theatrix 550 tuner cards.  The PC can send Ir
signals to the STBs with Microsoft's Ir receiver/transmitter, which connects
to the PC via USB and has 2 Ir blasters connected.
- One projector connected to the PC's TV-out (ATI X700 Pro)
- I also have two other TVs, each having its own Xbox console.  On each
console, I have both XBMC (Xbox Media Center, the open source project), and
Media Center Extender for Xbox (Microsoft's extender implementation).  XBMC
is amazing for everything, except it doesn't have the remote TV thing that
MS' MCX has.  I am therefore always switching applications on the Xbox,
depending on if I want to watch TV (MCX) or anything else (XBMC).

I can basically watch 2 channels at the same time, and this on any of the
three TVs.  If ever one TV asks for a channel change and another TV is
viewing, MCE will warn that another user will be affected...

There has been a lot of work done on an XBMC add-on that basically
implements an Xbox client for MythTV
(http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.pl?s=7b0fbc9e259a154
ba9eb05d6f664c471;act=ST;f=21;t=2676;st=0 and
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcmythtv/).

I'd like to ask a few questions relating to MythTV itself, in order to see
if the XBMC add-on could adequately replace MCE 2005 and the MCX for Xbox...

1- I'm pretty sure I've read that the ATI 550 chipset (Sapphire makes a copy
with its Theatrix) is not supported in MythTV.  Can anyone confirm ?
2- I've seen many posts concerning the Hauppauge 250, but is the 150
supported ?
3- Does MythTV support multiple Ir blasters ?  I mean, if I'm going to have
two Xbox clients, when I change the channel on one Xbox, I obviously don't
want the channel to change on some other TV...
4- Does MythTV support Microsoft's Ir blaster/receiver ?  The receiver part
is also important, because although I expect that channel change requests
coming from the remote TVs will be sent via Ethernet, I also want to be able
to change the channel for the TV-out output...
5- Does MythTV require having as many clients as there are TV tuners in the
PC(s), or does it manage the conflict like MCE 2005 does ?
6- Has anyone been playing around with the XBMC client, and therefore could
elaborate on what can and cannot be done with such a solution ?

Thanks.