[mythtv-users] Pundit - DVI - Samsung HLP

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Tue May 10 14:59:13 UTC 2005

Frostykev wrote:
> I am in the process of loading MythTv on my Asus pundit (not R) using
> the SIS chipset.  So far the install is going well.  The problem is that
> my samsung is not recognizing the DVI.  Using the SISCTRL program it
> looks like the DVI port is an Analog port.  Is this true?  Will an
> Analog DVI port work with the Samsung HLP's?

I own an HLP, and it works fine with the NVidia DVI-I I'm using in -D
mode.  Two things:

(a) It wouldn't surprise me if the Samsung doesn't do DVI-A.  Never
quite understood the point of DVI-A; perhaps someone can enlighten me.

(b) A DVI-A-only output port is really, really dumb and wouldn't make a
whole lot of sense; I really doubt the SIS works this way.  I suspect
the port and the monitor negotiate on a mutually-supported protocol
(either -D or -A).  The SISCTRL program may simply be indicating the
mode it's in currently.  There may be a way to force it into a
particular mode.

Cheers,
Kyle