[mythtv-users] PVR-500 only got statics

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:36:21 UTC 2005

On 5/10/05, Xiaotian Sun <sun.xiaotian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have trouble to get PVR-500 to work.  And I also have trouble to
> subscribe to ivtv-devel list.  My confirmation email couldn't be sent
> out my gmail.
>
> Anyways, the story is that I compiled the 0.3.4f (latest) ivtv driver
> and can (almost) successfully load it by issuing a modprobe ivtv.  But
> there's a compalining about "tuner type not set" in the log, though
> there was an earlier log entry saying "tuner type set to 57" or
> something.  So I got really confused.
>
> Then when I try to use ptune-ui.pl and mplayer to see if the tuner and
> the encoder are working, I only got statics, no matter which tuner (0
> or 1) I chose, or which channel I set.  And at the same time, there
> are more "tuner type not set" entries in the log.
>
> However, I can get perfect picture from my DVD player using composit
> input on the PVR-500.

I don't recall what I was getting in the logs, but I was getting the
same effect as you (with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 and ivtv 3.4a from
atrpms). Googling around I found a suggestion to set up my
modprobe.conf as follows:

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
alias char-major-81-2 ivtv
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv
options ivtv ivtv_std=2 tda9887=0
options cx25840 no_black_magic=1
alias tuner tuner-ivtv

NB this is for a Dutch PAL card.

This produced a picture and sound on both tuners. Unfortunately the
picture stuttered and had a lot of fringing, and I won't have time to
look at this again until the weekend, so I'm not sure if I had a bad
version of ivtv or if I need to do some more tweaking.

Chris