[mythtv-users] Best O/S

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon May 9 17:00:55 UTC 2005

On 5/9/05, Colin Smillie <csmillie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/9/05, Anil Gupte <anil-list at icinema.com> wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > I am a newbie at MythTV.  I want to create a stable MythTV system that I can
> > actually use and forget like an appliance.  What is the best Linux version I
> > should use?  By that I mean the most stable, and having the most drivers.  I
> > have used Debian and Slackware in the past, although I am far from an expert.
>
> I think Fedora is probably one of the easist to get going.  The
> disadvantage is that is sort like being on a threadmill because its
> continuing being updated and obsoleted.
>
> Jarod has a great guide on Fedora setup here:
>
> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php
>
> And its well supported by Axel's ATRPMs.net

I'd second that the combination of Jarod's Fedora guides and using
apt-get with atrpms.net means you can get a Fedora-based Myth system
up and running quickly. If Fedora bring out a new kernel release, it
is usually only a few days until Axel at atrpms.net has got suitable
driver packages released, which makes upgrading fairly painless.

Nick