[mythtv-users] Re: Trouble setting up DVB

Ben Buxton mythtv at ml.cactii.net
Sun May 8 17:11:59 UTC 2005

James Pattinson <jamesp at hisser.org> uttered the following thing:
> Hi All
>
> I have installed MythTV 0.18 on my gentoo system. My DVB-S card is a
> Technisat SkyStar 2 which has been verified working with linux dvb
> tools.
>
> It is detected by MythTV but I am unable to scan for channels. It is
> unclear what units to use for the frequency and symbol rate - I have
> tried various combinations of Hz kHz and MHz with no effect. I just
> get Tuning - no lock until it times out.

I use mythtv 0.17 and it works fine, presumably it should also work in
0.18. The units I use are as follows:

- Frequency is in Khz, so for eg 10773MHz is entered as 10773000
- Symbol rate in kSym/sec, so 27500 is entered as 27500000

These work very well for me on three different satellites.

> If I try and configure channels manually, using the channel editor, I
> get no options regarding DVB stuff - I enter the channel number (is
> this number important?) and the name, and the video source. Pressing
> next however gives me Video 4 Linux options like frequency ID which
> doesn't seem relevant at all.

I don't think you can manually specify DVB options - you have to use the
automatic scanning utilities.

BB