[mythtv-users] Broadcast flag thrown out

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Sat May 7 17:36:57 UTC 2005

> I have an old analog antenna on a mast on the side of my
> house but we don't use it.  Wondering how useful it would be
> for getting signal from a market across the lake from me like
> Rochester.
>
> b.

Hi Neighbor, I live about 50 miles to the south of Rochester.

That depends on the size (gain) of the antenna and Its physical condition
(rusty hardware, broken elements, etc.)and how well you can see the lake. If
you can actually see the lake from your home's roof then there is a very
good chance you will get good reception at most times. Most days the thermal
inversion that forms over the lake makes it easy to get signals from the
other side. Other times conditions will make the lake seem more like a lead
coated wall and you will get nothing. Not good if your counting on watching
this weeks episode of Survivor.  :^)

PS - Installing a brand new antenna balun and coax cable from the antenna to
your myth box will make a HUGE difference. Dont forget to weatherproof
things outside.

PPS - I cannot get Rochester stations direct as I live in the bottom of a
valley and the multipath makes OTA signals into a smear of ghosts.