[mythtv-users] Broadcast flag thrown out

Neil Rubin rubin.neil at gmail.com
Sat May 7 07:40:29 UTC 2005

I don't read this as a nondelegation case. The nondelegation doctrine holds
that Congress may not constitutionally delegate the legislative power to
another branch, e.g., the executive branch in the form of the FCC. It would
be an application of nondelegation if the D.C. Circuit had held that
Congress could not constitutionally grant FCC the power to mandate the
broadcast flag. Here, the D.C. Circuit merely held that Congress did not
intend to grant the FCC such power. Put another way, nondelegation is a
constitutional law doctrine, but this case was decided on statutory
interpretation grounds.

According to my Con. Law casebook, you are right that the Supreme Court only
invalidated legislation on nondelegation grounds during the Lochner
era, in Schechter
Poultry (1935) and Panama Ref. Co. (1935).

Neil