[mythtv-users] LxMSuite.com to provide services to the Mythcommunity

Bill Smith wsmithjr at gmail.com
Sat May 7 15:46:45 UTC 2005

Maverick wrote:

>I can't say whether this whole thing is good idea or not, but here's
>my opinions:
>
>1. A pay service is fine as long as it's optional, and I can use a
>"free" service like zap2it if I choose. If any attempts at disabling
>the free services in favor of a subscription service, it would be a
>_BAD_ move for MythTV. Embracing new features (even if they are
>subscription based) is a _GOOD_ thing as long as it doesn't replace
>existing free stuff.
>
>2. I would be more inclined to try a subscription service if there
>where either a free trial or a free "basic" version. For example, if
>the show listings where free for everyone, and the advanced stuff like
>voting, suggested recordings, etc. where part of the paid deal, I'd
>certainly consider subscribing.
>
>I will say the number two reason I switched to MythTV is because the
>free guide data. Number one being the multitude of awesome features...
>
>-Kenneth

I'd say my reasons for trying Myth are similar. I wanted a DVR that
didn't lock me out of my recordings, and I liked not having a
subscription fee. But on the subscription fee point, I have always said
that at the end of the day there is a business on the other end of that
data we use. I know it costs them money to put that service together for
us, and it's great that it's been free. I personally wouldn't mind a
reasonable fee for the service, and I expect that eventually they may
have to charge one. That's not to say I would not prefer free :-), free
is always in my price range.

-Bill