[mythtv-users] Lightweight Backend

Sasha Z kleptophobiac at gmail.com
Fri May 6 09:38:08 UTC 2005

I don't even bother changing the runlevel... I just run X when I need
it from the command line. I installed mythtv from packages I made, as
well as X. There's no need for any window manager more sophisticated
than twm for mythtv setup.

I was doing everything via ssh while I was on a windows box, so I also
used vnc to do the setup. Afterwards, I just closed X and started the
backend from the startup scripts.

Simple enough. I could actually remove the X packages if I cared to at
this point.

I do, however, encourage the devs to make a command line backend
configuration system. There really isn't any need for a GUI to
configure the basic options available to the backend. A simple set of
text queries, or at most, a ncurses text UI could do the trick for
those who don't want all the bloat of X on their backends.

I may even have time in a few weeks to try and kludge something
together that does that... hmm.