[mythtv-users] Lightweight Backend

Leigh lsaunderson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri May 6 09:09:57 UTC 2005

On Friday 06 May 2005 10:00, Mike Curtis wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Are there any HOWTO's or notes on building a dedicated Backend (with
> remote front-ends) without X or KDE?
>

> With my limited knowledge of Mythtv, I am thinking that the Backend
> would have less to do if it did not have the overhead of X and KDE

I haven't tried it yet, but couldn't you just change the runlevel once you've
got the backend configured and running ?
So set mythbackend to start in (for example) runlevel 3 ,and then change your
grub (or whatever bootloader you use) to boot in level 3 instead of 5. I've
only used Redhat/Fedora, so I don't know for definate on other distro's, but
runlevel 3 for me is console only, it doesn't startX.