[mythtv-users] Serious performance issues with Fedora Core 3 & MythTV

Matt Merkey powermatt at cfl.rr.com
Fri May 6 04:56:54 UTC 2005

Carl Lewis wrote:

> I'd lay money you need to recompile the kernel with a few bits as
> modules instead of built-in. Particularly around
> the DRI/AGPART (sp?) area.
> Sorry I'm at work and don't have the details,
>
> Otherwise what was happening to me was that the fglrx driver
> would give a little error message in the Xorg.0.log about
> not being able to load DRI.
> Even though we only need the 2D acceleration the
> only way I could get good performance on my box (similar
> to yours) was with all the 3d acceleration enabled,
> and working.
> Well except openGL overlay of course, as that won't run at the
> same time as the XV overlay (don't you love this driver :-(
> I also had to set the fglrxdriver to use external AGP
>
> Only once all the 3D stuff was working and there were no
> little hiccups in the X log did my performance return to
> close to what it was. Not as good, only close.
> It now runs 30-35% for playback where it was 25-30%
> (Pentium4 1.5GHz box)
>
> Cheers,
> Carl.

Bingo... I think we've found the culprit. I'm getting the error you
mentioned about the DRI module in my xorg log file.

[drm] failed to load kernel module "fglrx"
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit failed!
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed!                  *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO)             *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available                *

So I guess I need to find and install the DRI module? Is this just a
simple matter of installing an RPM package or is it more complex than that?