[mythtv-users] Serious performance issues with Fedora Core 3 & MythTV

Carl Lewis carl at dpiwe.tas.gov.au
Thu May 5 23:50:01 UTC 2005

Matt Merkey wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
>> Matt Merkey wrote:
>>
>>> I used yum in FC3 to upgrade after I did the clean installation, so I
>>> do have a log. The problem there is the list is rather extensive, as
>>> a stock-from-the-ISO installation is now rather out of date. I looked
>>> through the entire list, but unfortunately nothing really jumps out
>>> at me as a likely suspect. I wouldn't call myself a linux expert, so
>>> I'll attach the log and see if anyone can spot something that I didn't.

>> This one stood out to me.  These are the open-gl and ATI accelerated
>> drivers.  Did you reinstall these?  Perhaps your video is now using
>> unaccelerated drivers and causing alot to be done in software?

I'd lay money you need to recompile the kernel with a few bits as
modules instead of built-in. Particularly around
the DRI/AGPART (sp?) area.
Sorry I'm at work and don't have the details,

Otherwise what was happening to me was that the fglrx driver
would give a little error message in the Xorg.0.log about
not being able to load DRI.
Even though we only need the 2D acceleration the
only way I could get good performance on my box (similar
to yours) was with all the 3d acceleration enabled,
and working.
Well except openGL overlay of course, as that won't run at the
same time as the XV overlay (don't you love this driver :-(
I also had to set the fglrxdriver to use external AGP

Only once all the 3D stuff was working and there were no
little hiccups in the X log did my performance return to
close to what it was. Not as good, only close.
It now runs 30-35% for playback where it was 25-30%
(Pentium4 1.5GHz box)

Cheers,
Carl.