[mythtv-users] 1080i problem

Xiaotian Sun sun.xiaotian at gmail.com
Thu May 5 23:59:11 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, Donavan Stanley <geckofiend at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/5/05, Xiaotian Sun <sun.xiaotian at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I couldn't figure out what's the causes, the CPU, the video card (ATI
> > Radeon 9100 IGP), or the memory size (I only have 512MB, of which 32MB
> > is reserved for the video card).  I used to be able to play 1080i fine
> > on my other desktop with a P4 2.4 GHz CPU and nVidia FX5200 video
> > card.
> >
> > Any help is highly appreciated.
>
> As a general rule, ATI cards are a poor choice for Myth boxes.

I just found this out in a hard way.  Some poeple reported the same
problem 2 years ago.

In summary, the problem is related to scale 1080i content down to
1024x768 using xv video output driver and some ATI video card.  The
problem goes away when '-vo x11' is used with mplayer on recorded
1080i stream.

Now my question is whether there is a work-around for this problem,
like specify an alternative video output driver for mythtv, and how to
do so.

Thanks,