[mythtv-users] P4 HyperThreading SMP Kernel and HDTV playback

Xiaotian Sun sun.xiaotian at gmail.com
Thu May 5 23:53:17 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, Xiaotian Sun <sun.xiaotian at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/5/05, Joe Barnhart <joebarnhart at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > --- Xiaotian Sun <sun.xiaotian at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a P4 3.0E GHz CPU in the Pundit-R.  It's running the latest
> > > 2.6.11 smp kernel from FC3.  When I try to play HDTV, the CPU usage
> > > for mythfrontend is >97%.  However the total CPU usage is only around
> > > 75%.  The playback quanlity is really bad, even worse than my other
> > > computer, a P4 2.4 GHz running 2.6.10 non-smp FC3 kernel.
> >
> > Also make sure you're using accelerated video drivers.  The situation
> > you describe could be caused by using a non-optimized video driver.
> >

> Is there a reason to go for ati fglrx driver if I don't want TV out?
> With xorg driver, I'm getting ~800 fps when testing using glxgears.
>
> Xiaotian

I finally kind of found out what's going wroing with my 1080i play
back.  Someone reported the same problem in 2003 but there seems no
obvious solution.

see this thread
http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64&highlight=&sid=cb5827e42bd491984ad04106f54cbb9d

In summary, the problem is related to scale 1080i content down to
1024x768 using xv video output driver and some ATI video card.  The
problem goes away when '-vo x11' is used with mplayer on recorded
1080i stream.

Now my question is whether there is a work-around for this problem,
like specify an alternative video output driver for mythtv, and how to
do so.

Thanks,

Xiaotian