[mythtv-users] LxMSuite.com to provide services to the Myth community

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Thu May 5 23:29:57 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
> > To be honest, $5.00 really doesn't sound like a lot to me... but I
> > can't help but wonder what kind of machine this will set in motion.
> > To quote the website, "LxMSuite puts you in the drivers seat: 100% of
> > the profits from the our pilot project will fund open source
> > development."... what happens after the pilot program?  You can't be
> > giving 100% of your profits away forever... can you?
>
> As I've been told (by Donavan), it'll eventually be something more
> around 50% go back into the bounty program, with the rest covering the
> fees for the more detailed feeds, theme designers' fees, etc.

I wasn't very clear on that one myself.  100% of the *profits* will be
fed back to open source development. The data fees to Tribune and the
like impact the profit margin. So the key is in numbers, enough folks
at $5 means everyone pays $5 forever.  Too few folks means that folks
outside this pilot project will end up paying more than $5 a month.

The data services for EU countries (if offered) *will* cost more than
$5 simply because the data from Tribune is significantly more
expensive. (I don't know how much more, just that it's a lot more).