[mythtv-users] LxMSuite.com to provide services to the Myth community

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Thu May 5 23:06:11 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, Geoff Scott <geoff.scott.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/5/05, Donavan Stanley <geckofiend at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Rather than simply take Myth and run with it they
> > decided to "do the right thing" and embrace the Myth community and
> > it's developers and work with us to move things forward.
> >

> <puts on fire proof speedo>

No need. ;)

> Um, I don't see the part where they are "helping" to move things
> forward.  If the bounty system encourages devs to work on projects
> which are then free for everyone, then yes, I see that.  But if I need
> to subscribe to get the latest and greatest feature, then how is this
> different than LxM buying the devs?

The fact that the resulting code is open source is mentioned more than
once on the site.  While there are numerous things that they'll be
providing as "members only" stuff, the sponspored development is not
one of them.

> > They instead approached Isaac, myself and some others about
> > doing things right.
>
> I'm glad you put this in your email.  Over the last year or so I've
> come to give a lot of weight to the things Isaac says/does.  He seems
> to be a good bullsh!t killer.  Thus, I would think, if he's involved,
> there must be some good to the greater community... hopefully.  Not
> that he is required to look out for the community per se.

Isaac very much so looks out for the community.

> > * A recommendation engine for Myth.
> >

> Did they build this or is this related to the recommendation plugin
> that was devloped previously (and IIRC is being used by quite a few
> people).

This is a different product based on a different premise.  The initial
recommendations  "channel" comes from the critics at Tribune's various
publications.  Eventually, the idea is for community members to be
able to offer their own recommendations to other community members.

The plugin and file format for the recommendations engine will be open
source and freely available so anyone else is capable of providing
their own recommendations to Myth users.

> To be honest, $5.00 really doesn't sound like a lot to me... but I
> can't help but wonder what kind of machine this will set in motion.

The price point was designed to be painless to the individual, yet
enough that in numbers could provide enough incentive to get
developers to implement features the users care about.

> To quote the website, "LxMSuite puts you in the drivers seat: 100% of
> the profits from the our pilot project will fund open source
> development."... what happens after the pilot program?  You can't be
> giving 100% of your profits away forever... can you?

The sole purpose of the data services project is to fund open source
development that's it.  That's the only reason it even exists.

> I couldn't help but notice this line from the web site FAQ:  "LxMSuite
> is a non-free subscription service..." Now that just sounds silly.
> Call it what it is, a "fee based" service.  What kind of double speak
> is "non-free based...".  Eee gads.

I agree "non-free based" sounds silly, good thing that doesn't appear
on their site.  ;) However the term "non-free" describes it just as
well "fee based"...